Friday, May 2, 2008

Companion Species...



I'm no academic, but I do take my cross-disciplinary obsession in the fields of anthrozoology / anthropomorphism / neuroaesthetics seriously. Today, I was happy to learn from a real scholar that The Companion Species Manifesto: Dogs, People, and Significant Otherness by Donna Haraway is a book that's right up my alley. Off the bat, I like the couplet "companion species" a lot. It triggers many of the super-flammable juxtapositions that got me into these peculiar realms to begin with... OK, I know, I know... the glazed and shimmering Siegfried and Roy ain't no scholars either, and perhaps they threaten to undermine the validity of this post... In their defense, you must admit they've taken er, "significant otherness" to a whole other level.

No comments: